Hull City vs Bristol City: Match Report

November 27, 2017 • Featured, football, Sport, UK • Views: 151

Words By Paul Uren

If ever proof was need that this Bristol City side is a different animal to the one from 12 months ago, then this was it.

65 Minutes of Gloom

After 65 minutes of the encounter at the KCOMM Stadium, City were 2-0 down after Frazier Campbell and Jarrod Bowen had given the hosts what seemed an unassailable lead. City were heading for two successive defeats in the league for the first time this season. The Robins had, up until that point, as Head Coach Lee Johnson put it been “terrible, terrible”.

Once again, the big man Aden Flint pulled City up by the bootlaces on 68 minutes by getting City back in the game, when he met substitute Niclas Eliasson’s free-kick into the box. Flint’s first header was blocked but he followed up from a yard out to smash the ball into the roof of the net, from the toes of Hordur Magnusson who was also lurking. Game on.

Away Day Delirium

Just over ten minutes later, City were level courtesy from another free kick, this time from the left, delivered by another substitute this time in Jamie Paterson. Flint and Nathan Baker caused a distraction to the home defence and the ball dropped to Bobby Reid to score his tenth of the season from close range.

City were right on top and with less than a minute of normal time remaining, Josh Brownhill collected the ball and ran with it before taking aim from around 25 yards to fire into the corner past Allan McGregor. Cue delirium in the away end in the ground and at the final whistle supporters, players and coaching staff united in a sea of celebration.

Different Side

The game had a feel of many City matches last season, when they had got themselves into winning positions only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on several occasions. This time, though, it was Hull who were on the receiving end.

This was a win earned more by heart, grit and desire, and there is nothing wrong in that at all. There will be a concern however with Johnson and his assistants Dean Holden and Jamie McAllister. City’s failure to impose their pattern of play on the game for a second successive match is worrying.

Eliasson Steps Up Again

An injury to Callum O’Dowda, following a heavy challenge from Campbell, forced his withdrawal on 55 minutes. Eliasson was his replacement and put in another impressive showing. He looks set to step up should O’Dowda be set for a lengthy absence. City’s strength and depth in the squad is certainly being tested at this time.

City will play better than this showing and lose this season. But for them to get a victory when they were staring down the barrel with 20 minutes remaining, will do wonders for their belief of what they can achieve this season. 

Middlesborough are up next and are the visitors to Ashton Gate this Saturday (5.20 k.o) for a live televised fixture.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,